Friday, April 20, 2012

In the Art Room - Hidden Hands

I stole another AWESOME idea from Mini Matisse!!  I think Mrs. Hahn may be new hero!  Anyhoo, my 8th graders loved this project.  We started out by looking at contemporary Chinese artist Liu Bolin and his hidden city series.  I wanted the kids to understand that art is not meant to just be pretty.  Liu's work sends a very heavy message.  They enjoyed his work and I think they appreciated his struggle.  For their own project, they printed an image of a pattern found in nature, painted that pattern on an 8 x 10 sheet with tempera, then the following week, they hid their own hands in the paintings!








3 comments:

  1. Your kids did a GREAT job of matching their hands to the background!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for the nice words. It's great to learn from one another! I'm glad to see you kids are having as much fun as mine did!!! I'll have to check out Liu Bolin. That would be great to use in this lesson.

    MiniMatisse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete