Monday, April 25, 2011

In the Art Room - Scratchboard

I love the look of scratchboard art but I have had a very difficult time teaching this lesson.  It's gotten better over the years, but there's just so much to remember!  In the end, the kids love their finished projects.  Be prepared - this one takes A LOT of patience!  I give each student a small practice square first.  We all begin with a close up of a giraffe's face.  We look at how the fur grows in different directions at different points on the animal.  We look at how to make lines closer together and farther apart to create light and dark.  We practice using longer, then shorter lines to create the effect of different fur.  Like I said, this is a tough one, but worth it!
  
 

1 comment:

  1. These are awesome! I love scratchboard but always forget not to blow the dust away, and then I get itchy eyes!

    ReplyDelete